There are some groups you should get in touch with if you are the victim of identity theft or fraud.
|U.S. Federal Trade Commission
|Department of Motor Vehicles
- Protect your Social Security Number and only give it out when required by law.
- No bank, auction site or other business should send you an email asking you to enter credit card information, passwords, Social Security Numbers or other personal information. Often these fake emails will contain links to pages that look real but are not. If you suspect you are being directed to a fake site, please go to the actual website of the company and inform them of what has happened.
- Avoid mail theft by obtaining a locked mailbox and dropping off outgoing mail at the local post office or postal mailbox.
- Do not give out your personal information or credit card number over the phone unless you initiated the call.
- Shred credit card offers and bank statements before you throw them away if you do not plan on using them.