Alternative Fuel Vehicles
- Apporoximately 40% of our vehicle fleet runs on alternative fuels, such as compressed natural gas, electric, and hybrid engines.
- The Airport’s fleet of compressed natural gas vehicles have saved more than 517,000 gallons of gas since they first went into service in 2012.
- TPA hosts fifteen electric vehicle charging stations and one compressed natural gas station on site for public use.
- TPA offers preferred parking spaces on the 2nd level of the Long Term Parking Garage adjacent to the main terminal walkways for passengers driving alternative fuel vehicles.
- Through our terminal recycling program, we are diverting approximately 1,100 tons of solid waste from the landfill each year.
- TPA is one of the few airports nationwide that enable in-flight recycling for our airlines.
- Less than a year into the Airport’s expansion, contractors have recycled 8,963 tons of materials, including steel, rebar, concrete, asphalt and scrap metal.
- The Main Terminal expansion and modernization project, one of the biggest components of expansion, has recycled 96 percent of all materials to date – approximately 3,760 tons of 3,920 tons.
Energy and Water Use Reduction
- Our maintenance staff embraces energy-efficient lighting solutions, such as LED airfield lights and terminal signage, to reduce waste and maintenance costs.
- In 2012, the airport saved over $1 million in electricity costs by implementing building controls on temperature, lighting, and baggage systems.
- TPA has reduced its potable water consumption by installing low flow fixtures and sensors in more than 80% of the restrooms, recycling the water from the rental car and fleet wash areas, and recovering and reusing the condensation from our air handlers.
- Since 2009, more than 300 million gallons of potable water have been saved by using reclaimed water for irrigation and cooling towers.
- Approximately 25,000 SF of carpet in our shuttle cars, monorail cars and elevators lobbies in our Short and Long Term Parking Garages is being replaced with carpet that contains 44% recycled content and is 100% recyclable at the end of its life.
- Each of the 65 new concession spaces coming to TPA will be using the Airport’s Sustainable Design Criteria Manual to identify and track sustainable design and construction efforts.
- Our interior plant program is supported by our on-airport green house and shade house.
- The Airport, in partnership with Tampa Electric, is constructing a 2-Megawatt installation of solar panels on the top level of our South Economy Parking Garage. The array will send enough energy to the electric grid to power 250 residential homes.
- The Hillsborough County Aviation Authority donated a record $96,215 to the United Way Suncoast in 2015, including roughly $55,000 from the Airport’s annual 5k Runway Fun Run.
- In July 2015, the Airport donated more than 1,600 pair of reading and nearsighted eyeglasses to low-income or needy visually impaired people throughout Tampa Bay area and beyond.
Awards and Recognition
- TPA’s LEAF program was recognized by Airports Council International-North America as the winner of the 2016 Environmental Achievement Award for the Environmental Management category.
- In October 2015, TPA’s LEAF program received the Hillsborough County Planning Commission Outstanding Contribution to the Community Award in the commercial category.
- In July 2015, our sustainability program, known as Legacy of Environmental Actions for our Future (LEAF) earned the J. Bryan Cooper Environmental Award, for commercial airports which recognizes environmental projects and programs that positively affect the Florida aviation system.
- In 2015, TPA was a nominee in the Leadership category and finalist in the Government category for Sustainable Florida’s Best Practice Award which acknowledged our commitment and support for creating a sustainable economic, environmental and social future for Florida.
- Tampa International Airport recently received Honorable Mention for the 2015 Airport’s Going Green Award for outstanding leadership in the pursuit of sustainability within the aviation industry.