TAMPA – Local flavor is on its way to Tampa International Airport, with the Green Iguana, Mise En Place, Cigar City Brewing, and the Columbia Cafe joining its menu of restaurant options. The new eateries will be in place by March.
“I couldn’t be happier about this expanded community presence at the airport,” said airport CEO Joe Lopano. “At the same time, it’s an opportunity to increase our revenue and better serve our customers with a real taste of Tampa.”
The new restaurant offerings are part of a larger program intended to increase airport concessions revenues by more than $1.2 million in the 2012 fiscal year.
Additional restaurant and retail concepts also include a Shula Burger, Legoland tickets, merchandise from such local attractions as Busch Gardens and Lowry Park Zoo, upgrades to existing shops, the addition of mojito bars and fresh fruit stands at airsides and new advertising options.
Much of the program was developed by HMSHost after conducting market research to determine the best concept mix for the airport’s customers.
“We’re delighted to partner with such great local Tampa restaurants to enhance our dining program at Tampa International Airport,” said Steve Johnson, Senior Vice President, HMSHost. “We believe these well-known, iconic restaurants will give people a chance to enjoy the taste of Tampa’s best dining while they pass time at the airport before or between flights.”
Funding for the $5.8 million program comes from HMS Host, Stellar Partners and Clear Channel Advertising. There is no capital investment from the Aviation Authority. Future revenue enhancement plans call for a spa offering manicures; security bin advertising; corporate sponsorship of airport facilities; and Wi-Fi advertising.
Summary of concession changes in the Enhanced Revenue Program:
• Add Papa Johns to Burger King location
• Add a Mise En Place wine bar to the center of the shopping galleria, featuring upscale menu items
• Upgrades to Ron Jon Surf Shop
• Mindworks, the only store in the airport dedicated to children’s favorites, will now sell bulk candy, tickets to Legoland, and feature popular Lego products
• Add Swarovski
• Add a Bacardi Mojito Bar and Sunglass Icon
• Add Ciao, an upscale “grab and go” store featuring fresh food and fruit
• Add Green Iguana
• Remodel existing newsstand
• Add a Ciao and new kiosks: Kiehl’s (personal care products), Sunglass Icon, Tech In a Sec, and Under the Silver Moon featuring souvenirs from local businesses and attractions such Busch Gardens and Lowry Park Zoo
• Add Shula Burger, Cigar City Brewing and a Stella Bar (now open)
• Relocate children’s play area to a family-friendly spot away from main traffic flow
• Add a Sunglass Icon
• Add Café Columbia
• Remodel the duty free shop and newsstand
• Add a Stella Bar and Ciao
• Remodel the duty free shop and offer shopping selections accounting for expanded international service to Cuba and Switzerland
• Remodel existing newsstand